If you ever remember eating bagels at some family gathering, holidays, special occasions, brunches, or any celebration of friends and family. In that case, you could get over them now even if you went gluten-free now. You still want to enjoy the flavor and lose into those special memories of your life. This is why you are here, right?
Well, no disease and health problem can distance you from eating your favorite bagels as you can now go for the gluten-free ones. They surely get a special place in your heart by giving you the same flavor and taste.
But what are gluten-free bagels? From where can you get them? Are gluten-free bagels healthy? Can you make them at home? These questions might be rushing into your mind. If this is the case, here we are to answer all your queries and help you get your taste buds rich with bagels flavors.
- What are Gluten-free Bagels?
- How to Make Gluten-free Bagels at Home?
What are Gluten-free Bagels?
Gluten-free bagels are the types of bagels that come with zero gluten in their making. The addition of gluten-free flour is what makes it different from regular bagels. There is a wide variety of gluten-free flours available that can be added to make these bagels. Some gluten-free bagels are made with a combination of more than one gluten-free flour, and they taste delicious.
For gluten-free bagel recipes, sorghum flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, and buckwheat are combined. While many are made with only one type of flour. However, the choice of flour for bagels depends greatly on its structure and qualities.
For instance, bagels made with brown flour are light and fluffy only when combined with some other type of flour like tapioca or potato flour. If brown rice flour is used on its own, the bagels would turn out gummy and with poor taste.
This is why gluten-free bagels are made with great care, and the type of flour is chosen wisely to make them as delicious and yummy as regular ones are.
Are Gluten-free Bagels Healthy?
Gluten-free bagels are known to be healthy diets, especially when you’ve turned gluten-free. However, it has amazing benefits for Celiac patients who are bound to use only “free” food and products. It is a great food item that you can enjoy without worrying about skin irritation or any other side effects.
Some top benefits of including a gluten-free bagel in the diet of celiac patients include;
- It helps in weight loss as these bagels do not have complex carbohydrates.
- It boosts your energy level as it is readily broken down in your body to provide the necessary energy to perform day-to-day tasks.
- It alleviates bowel problems.
Gluten-free bagels are a great combo of deliciousness and nutrition that you need to enjoy a healthy and active life despite these obvious and most impressive health benefits.
Where to Get Best Gluten-free Bagels
There are not many places where you can get the best gluten-free bagels, but the ones that provide some make the delicious and nutritious of all. Below are some gluten-free bagels brands that are top-rated and can satisfy your requirements also;
- Famous for: Multiseed Bagel, Plain Bagel
- Available at: Albertsons, Fred Meyer, Walmart, Amazon, and Safeway
2. Canyon Bakehouse
- Famous for: Plain Bagels, Everything Bagels, Blueberry Bagels, Deli White Bagels, Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
- Available at: Albertsons, New Seasons, Natural Grocers, Target, Safeway, and Walmart
- Famous for: Plain Bagels
- Available at: Fred Meyer, Albertsons, Target, Walmart Safeway, and Winco.
- Famous for: Blueberry Bagels, Cinnamon Raisin Bagels, Plain Bagels
- Available at: Amazon, Walmart, New Seasons, and Whole Foods
5. Little Northern Bakehouse
- Famous for: Plain Bagels, Everything Bagels, Blueberry Bagels, Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
- Available at: Natural Grocers, Safeway, and Amazon
- Famous for: Cinnamon Raisin Bagels, Plain Bagels
- Available at: Amazon, Safeway, New Seasons, Fred Meyer, and Walmart.
7. Trader Joe’s
- Famous for: Gluten-Free Bagels, Gluten-Free Everything Bagels
- Available at: Trader Joes
- Famous for: Plain Bagels, Cinnamon Raisin Bagels, Whole Grain Bagels, Everything Bagels
- Available at: Fred Meyer, Safeway, Albertsons, Walmart, QFC, Whole Foods, Target, and Winco.
- Famous for: Everything Bagel, Sesame Bagel, Pumpernickel Bagel, Original Bagel, Sprouted Whole Grain Flax Bagel, Apple Cranberry Bagel
- Available at: Albertsons, Buy-Low Foods, Amazon, Choices Market, Loblaw, Gluten-Free Mall, Overwaitea Food Group, Safeway, New Seasons, and Whole Foods.
How to Make Gluten-free Bagels at Home?
For those who are still concerned about bagels being gluten-free and do not want to buy them outdoors, here’s a simple solution; make them at home. Every dish becomes delicious and more trustworthy when made under personal supervision at home. However, if it’s for bagels being gluten-free, you must be looking out to have some extra care to avoid any health risks.
So, here’s a simple way you can make gluten-free bagels at home using only 5 ingredients;
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 cup of gluten-free flour (singly or mixed with other flours of your choice)
- ¾ tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Note: Get something for bagels topping like poppy seeds, dried onion/garlic flakes, sesame seeds, or anything you like.
The making of gluten-free bagels is extremely easy. Below is the 6-step guide that’ll help you make the most delicious bagels to add to your gluten-free diet.
Step 1: Prepare your Oven and Baking Equipment
It would be best to prepare your baking oven and other equipment well before time. For this, you need to preheat your oven to 400º F. Place a Silpat or parchment paper sheet on your baking tray and spray it with a bit of cooking spray.
Step 2: Prepare Gluten-free Flour dough
- Prepare your gluten-free flour by mixing up the baking powder and salt in it. Whisk is well and set aside to use later.
- Also, whisk 1 egg white until it becomes frothy, add yogurt into it, mix well in a separate bowl, and keep it aside.
- Add this yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and mix them. Ensure that the dough doesn’t become too sticky; if it is, add a bit more flour and make it an easy-to-handle dough that doesn’t stick to your hands.
Step 3: Make the Dough Ball
After you’ve prepared the dough, squeeze it together using your hands and roll it into a large dough ball. Divide this dough ball into four sections.
Step 4: Make the Thick Ropes
Roll each of the four sections into thick ropes and attach both ends to form a bagel shape.
Step 5: Prepare for Baking
Brush these bagels with the egg white over the top and sprinkle with the topping of your choice.
Step 6: Bake
Bake these prepared bagels into the oven for about 20 minutes; let the top get lightly brown.
And Yes! We’re done.
Take these delicious-looking bagels out of the oven, cut them into half, and eat them however you like, with cream cheese or butter, etc.